Tuesday 17 December 2013

Do you know someone who needs help?

Nat and Drew have chosen their family for Breaking and Entering, and will be doing their breaking and entering this Thursday! That will be so cool to listen to!

In the spirit of helping those in need, I would love to help make someone's Christmas a little merrier. I'm not rich, but what little I have, I would gladly share.

There's just one problem: I don't know anyone who needs help! I am the poorest person I know. Literally. Just a few short years ago, I could barely afford to buy diapers let alone pay for preschool or new clothes. Though things are better now, we have few extras. But we have a tree, a turkey, trimmings, and presents. Our home is warm and we are clothed and well fed. We want for nothing, truly. I replaced our daughter's hole-y leggings with a few pairs for $4 each at Old Navy today. I love a good deal!

My point, and I DO have one, is that no one I know personally is in need of anything. Everyone has a tree, stockings brimming with presents, and plenty of extras. A few years ago I posted on Craig's List that I wanted to help a family at Christmas and was able to give some families a few extras - $50 gift certificates, toys, etc. Some were truly needy, others were not. Another time, when we had little ourselves but I wanted to adopt a family through YWCA, we helped a single Mom with food and gifts. We had already been assigned her by the organization when I read her wish list: included in her list was "gift certificates and anything Lululemon." Um...what? I couldn't afford Lululemon underwear, let alone clothing, for myself or my family, so I certainly couldn't afford to get HER any! But I managed to scrape together enough to buy her the $75 Safeway gift card (which was mandatory) and some toys for her child. When I dropped them off, I had to get my visiting brother to drive me because I was too sick to drive. They weren't home, but I could see from the door that the bottom of the tree was WELL stocked already. I didn't feel like they needed my help, and left feeling taken advantage of. A bit Bah Humbugish.

So if you know someone that is TRULY in need, someone who couldn't afford to buy presents for their kids, doesn't have a turkey, doesn't have resources or family to help them, please let me know. Maybe you know a widow or widower or ill couple without family nearby who could use a turkey dinner or ??? I can't do much, but I can do SOMETHING. And something is better than nothing, in my opinion.

And if you want to help buy/deliver/ donate, let me know! The more, the merrier. Who's up for some anonymous giving??? E-mail me: contestsvancouver@gmail.com

Happy Ho Ho!

:)



No comments:

Post a Comment